Sunday, May 14, 2006

E3 2006

E3 has come and gone for another year. I was sent down to work at the AGEIA booth to show off the PhysX in Issue 7.

My co-worker Ray and I at the Figueroa Hotel. The hotel was older, but had a nice style to it.


Blurry pic of the Figueroa lobby

Fortunately, the hotel was just a couple of blocks from the LA Convention Center, making for a nice short walk to and from the expo every day. The building itself was covered in massive stories-high game posters; I heard the Gears of War one (pictured in the center of my pic below) cost $70K. Wow. I guess it's a small drop in the bucket for a big gaming company, but... wow.


Outside the convention center beside alien drop pods

The AGEIA booth was demoing a bunch of games using the new PhysX engine graphics, which enabled real-world physics for persistent debris, and all other kinds of groovy-cool stuff. For a more detailed explanation, read this. We incorporated PhysX into all the powers and destructible objects in I7, taking the CoV ragdoll physics to the next level.


My bleary-eyed self on day 2 of the expo


My co-worker Ray doing some Mayhem!

I gotta say, it was really a cool experience working as a CoV developer at E3. I did some interviews, met with a lot of CoH/CoV fans, and answered a lot of questions. While a CoH/CoV few fans were ornery (why does the training room download have to be SO big?), the majority were really great. More than a few said, "Thank you for making such a great game! We love it!" This truly gave me the warm fuzzies. Coupled with the experience of meeting other devs who who just as jazzed about making cool games, it really made me feel good about being in the industry and bringing enjoyment to so many people. Huzzah!

Cool Stuff at E3

NCSoft, publisher of CoV, had a great-looking booth this year showing off a LOT of new games. Some of the coolest ones included Tabula Rasa (sci-fi MMO), Dungeon Runners (an updated Diablo-style hackfest), and ExTeel (a mecha-combat shooter).


The band Mutaytor on the Play NC stage


The PlayNC booth area

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (MMO) had some demos running at the FunCom (makers of Anarchy Online) booth. While it could use a lot of polish, the game has potential. I mean, what red-blooded male WOULDN'T want to take on the role of a savage Cimmerian? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women! By Crom!


R:tAG the Ukrainian!

I got a chance to try out Hellgate: London as well. The feel of it is VERY cool, a sort of holy-techno-warriors-meets-demons-in-an-apocalyptic-future type feel. Check out the website, and watch for the release.


Hellgate: London booth

Webzen was really pushing Huxley this year, supposedly a "FPS MMORPG". I got a chance to play in a squad-vs-squad battle, which felt mostly FPS with little RPG. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one; it should be out this fall for the Xbox 360, so I might pick it up if there aren't any better contenders.


A sapien marine from Huxley

The thundering MMO developer giant Blizzard showed off the first expansion to the stupidly successful World of Warcraft. They revealed the new Alliance race, some blue-skinned hoofed critters called the draenei. So now the Horde has a pretty race (the blood elves) and the Alliance has these guys. Maybe things will balance out a bit more in the PvP zones? That remains to be seen.


Ow! I got a hangnail!

Pirates of the Caribbean Online is in development, and I got a beta invite. Woot! However, first glance makes me think it might be a bit too 'kiddie' to be fun, but I'll see how the beta plays. The ESRB might still rate it ARRRRRRRR! (sorry, couldn't resist)


The chair from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Yarrrrr!

The Obligatory Babes of E3

And of course, what would E3 be without booth babes? Those sultry sirens of silicon(e) may have restrictions placed on them, but that didn't stop them baring their... errr... 'talents' again this year.


These were soliciting for some hoop-shooting game


A Korean Webzen 'future-girl'


I don't even remember what they were promoting


Call of Duty 3 girl in her... fatigues?


Probably NOT their real hair

5 comments:

Suz said...

Your wife might get the idea that the only reason you volunteer for these things is to look at the hot women. You've only got one at home!

Amy said...

Oh, I *know* that's why he goes to these things. :)

Arkayne said...

Sadly, I get more excited over the new games coming out over the booth babes! Besides, the booth babes simply can't compare to my lovely senorita at home!

Anonymous said...

*sigh* maybe someday I'll get to go....

Looks like it was a fun time, though. Color me slightly green with envy

That having been said - I would like to add that I recently picked up the CoV CE and am really enjoying it. Moreso then CoH - I think it's the whole "be evil" bent to it. and yes, I was a geek and checked for your name in the credits Mr. "2 lines, because I insisted on using my middle name, too!" :-p

Arkayne said...

Heh, what can I say? They asked and I said "sure! why not!". That'll teach 'em to ask next time! :-)