Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Great Outdoors

We had quite the busy weekend, strangely enough in the great outdoors. I say strangely because I'm not one to normally enjoy frolicking about in nature. I've said it many times, "I spent most of my life getting out of the bush (the farm), so I'm not too eager to go back!" Then again, maybe it's the Saskatchewanian in me still thinking: "It's a nice day - I must go out to enjoy it!"

On Saturday we took a trip with a couple of Amy's friends up to the Yuba River, a really beautiful spot northeast of San Francisco. There we found a small river beach where a warm mountain stream broke through the hills. The water was clear, small fish swam about in the water, and we even found gold flakes in the water - I guess that's why they call California "the Golden State"! Oh, and there were a lot of nekkid people there skinny-dipping - apparently the spot is quite popular with a lot of the California hippy population!


Rio Del Mar Beach

On Sunday we went to Rio Del Mar Beach, just outside of Santa Cruz. We were there with a bunch of people from one of the local gaming stores we had made friends with, and a good time was had by all. We had lots of fun swimming in the ocean and talking around the campfire. I even learned how to body surf on a boogie board! That is truly something I never thought I'd make time to do in my lifetime, but circumstances have changed a lot in the past year!

3 comments:

neuba said...

Oooohhhh body surfing. Now that is something I gotta see! :)

Anonymous said...

One of my dreams in this life, is to learn how to actually surf.

It's a little hard in Saskatchewan.

Anonymous said...

Unless you attach a sail to your surf board...