We arrived in Las Vegas on Friday night around supper, when we dumped our bags off at the Luxor. If you don't know, the Luxor is an Egyptian-themed hotel in the shape of a pyramid, and instead of elevators has 'inclinators' since they travel inside up the incline of the pyramid! Pretty amazing stuff.

Statues at the Luxor
After we left our bags with the concierge we rushed over to the MGM Grand to watch the performance of the latest from Cirque du Soleil: KÀ! The tickets were a bit pricey, but then again, I didn't know what to expect. It was simply amazing, and worth every penny! I think what impressed me most was the sheer amount of mechanical engineering which went into the performance. The stage itself was one HUGE slab on an arm which allowed it to revolve, incline, and even go completely vertical! And something to keep in mind - the actors will still acting on it when this was happening! Wow... just... wow!
We spent the rest of Friday night and most of Saturday afternoon socializing, running around on a scavenger hunt, and generally enjoying the sights. We managed to drop by the Hilton and get our geek on with The Star Trek Experience, which included lunch at Quark's Bar and Restaurant, the Star Trek timeline museum, the 'Borg Invasion 4D' and 'the Klingon Encounter'. Lot's of good, sci-fi fun!

YMCA with a Klingon

Klingon Weaponry and Outfits at the Star Trek Museum
Saturday night we got together for a banquet and speeches, then proceeded to the highly entertaining Blue Man Group. Very humourous, entertaining, and interactive!

Our Scavenger Hunt Team!

Lou in Vegas Gear!
All-in-all, it was a great weekend! We actually hope to go back again to see more of the sights and shows of Vegas one of these weekends. It's actually a cheap flight from San Jose, so we'll seriously consider doing it again some time!
6 comments:
Once again, my jealousy is only soothed by how happy you and Amy look. Love the pics!
Envious. The word is envious. [sigh] I thought I had a good weekend until I read about yours. And you deserve all the perks of your new job.
Glad you guys had a wonderful time. It is always good to hear that you are enjoying yourselves.
It is especially nice to hear the excitment in ones voice - as Amy told me a little bit about the trip on the phone yesterday.
I have never been one to even consider going to Las Vegas. Mostly because of the gambling. But whenever I say that, I am told that I should simply go for the shows. I think that is a safe conclusion to make - it is all about the shows.
Well, the only thing that would've made Vegas better would be to have you folks there with us! :-)
RE: Vegas and gambling - I'm not much into gambling myself, nor is Amy. Vegas has really changed from a gambler's haven into more of an 'adult Disneyland' with all kinds of performances and luxuries everywhere you go.
The last time Amy was there was back in '91, and she said it was a scary place then, which made her a bit hesitant about this whole trip initially. Come Sunday when we had to fly back, she wished we had more time to stay! It definitely has changed for the better.
*sigh*
It was 90 degrees at home today, with a cool breeze blowing. They say someone's going to get tornadoes tonight. No Cirque, no Klingons, no Qu'aark's Cafe.
I can tell from here that you miss the mosquitoes, the sweat, and all that weird stuff in bloom what makes you sneeze...
...right? Right? You miss that stuff, right?
Honestly, the things I miss most are the people and the familiar places back in Saskatchewan. The weather... well, let's just say I'm not looking forward to seeing the mounds of snow in December!
Post a Comment