Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Richter? Damn near killed 'er!

TUO and I were at home on the computer when we felt a rolling sensation from the ground beneath us - our first noticeable earthquake! It lasted about 10-15 seconds, it centered at Alum Rock (about a 20 minute drive from our place) and it registered 5.6 on the Richter Scale, but caused no major damage other than a couple of downed power lines.

Our first instinct was just to look at each other while it was occurring. Really, we should have head to the nearest door jamb just in case it was a big one, but TUO was fretting while I was going "cool!" And it occurred we should probably re-stock our emergency Earthquake supplies...

Cool Link: http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

4 comments:

neuba said...

Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. Good thing it was fairly minor.

Missing you guys. I can't wait to come for another visit, but the funds are a little low right now. Perhaps next summer. When are you back in Canada??

T. said...

Where EXACTLY are you guys in relation to the fault line? If the big one hits, could you wind up with beach-front? That would be awesome.

Suz said...

Definitely glad you're okay. I thought about you first thing this morning after I heard about the quake.

Arkayne said...

neuba - It'd be great to see you down here again! As for when we're going to be back in Canada - probably not anytime soon. The Green Card app means I can't actually leave for more than a short jaunt since they can call for interviews on short notice. :-p

T - That would be awesome! And you know what? That could feasibly happen...

suz - Thanks for thinking of us!