Monday, August 27, 2007

GenCon Indy 2007

GenCon was again, very much fun. It's a relatively cheap vacation and I always end up wondering why I ever think of NOT attending if I have the means to do so. Good fun, good friends, good geeking.

Pinnacle Entertainment Group released The Savage World of Solomon Kane for the Savage Worlds game system. For those who don't know, Solomon Kane is a character created by Robert E. Howard, more popularly known for his Conan novels. PEG acquired the license to publish a role-playing game based on Solomon Kane a couple of years back, and now here it is! I have an "Additional Material" credit for writing four of the adventures in there. It is being shipped out to your local gaming store soon. Check it out - it is "teh awesome"!


Oooooh! Shiny new book!

GenCon has a costume contest every Saturday, and there are a lot of AWESOME costumes there. TUO being TUO, she couldn't resist getting involved, and dragged cenobyte along with her. What did they come up with? Victorian Steampunk. How cool is that? Inspired by Girl Genius, of course.


"SCIENCE!"

You also start seeing the video game industry making its way into GenCon as well. A number of companies had exhibits there, and along with the video game exhibits comes the inevitable onslaught of booth babes.


I asked her what is best in life, but she seemed kinda confused. I don't think she's a REAL barbarian.



And a little somethin' for the ladies!

GENCON 2008! If you are interested in coming out with us to GenCon next year (Aug. 14-17, 2008), START PLANNING NOW! Start budgeting for the trip, making plans for meeting up with us, share hotel rooms, etc. Every gamer should go to GenCon at least once in their life, and it's worth some serious geek cred! :-)

3 comments:

cenobyte said...

SCIENCE! HA! Heh-heh.

I am planning on coming to GenCon again, hopefully next year, when you release your pretty game. So that TUO and I can be 'booth babes' for you and answer questions using words like 'forsooth' and 'contradictory-wise'.

Also, just for the record, when you asked *me* what was best in life, I completely missed the reference. Maybe my corset was too tight; maybe I just didn't realise we were right outside the Barbarian Booth; maybe something shiny distracted me. Either way, I agree with you on the 'not a real barbarian' thing. Those breastplates they were wearing were made of *latex*. What self-respecting barbarian wears *latex* armor?

I only now wonder how hot the other barbarian was. The bald guy in the skins. Hot as in 'tell me child, is the heat *on*?', not as in 'OMG! He. Is. So. Hotttt!' (shudder. Now I have to go wash my eyeballs and fingertips. I can't believe I typed that.)

Also: listen to R:tAG. Don't book your flight a month before you leave. They bugger up your flight schedule and charge waaaay too much.

Suz said...

Can Cheruby and I come too? [grin]

I've never done this before - any recommendations?

I'm going to work on Furlak to come next year too.

Arkayne said...

Hey Suz! I'd recommend creating an account on the GenCon site, so you can get email info on when registration opens/closes, events, etc. Then I'd start budgeting out a bit o'cash, with the main cost being the flight and hotel stay (GenCon itself is only about $60 for the weekend). Then you don't really have to worry about anything until registration opens.

Check out: http://php.iupui.edu/~wrporter/